[sbe-eas] Question about ETRS Form 1 requirement for stations that 100% other stations

Dave Turnmire eassbelist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:45:54 EST 2023

Legal requirements are one thing. Public service is another.  The FCC
principally is concerned with being able to receive and rebroadcast
national alerts... which aside from NPTs, we hope we never see.  But
what you need to provide good service to your audience is another
topic.  If your NOC/hub is located hundreds of miles from some of its
stations, any monitoring it does at that location may not reflect the
needs of the audience of those stations... local weather, local hazmat
spills, local fires, local amber alerts, etc.

That would be a management decision regarding how important providing
that service is.  And it is complicated by the fact that your audience
for one transmitter in one community probably won't appreciate their
favorite program being interrupted for an emergency in a far removed
community.  So if you are feeding multiple transmitters for multiple
communities widely separated geographically, using one EAS box probably
isn't practical if you consider emergency messaging a valuable public
service.  You may need to local EAS boxes even if the rest of the
programming is centralized.  So there isn't one "right choice" on these
types of things.  Just remember that there are other EAS considerations
than just complying with FCC minimums...

Dave