[sbe-eas] WEA/EAS usage in East Palestine Ohio train derailment

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Feb 13 20:21:38 EST 2023

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023, Rob Dale wrote:
> I’d classify “used” as a little too nice of a term :)
>
> The messages were not very useful and the polygons went all over the place. They will not be seen as “best practices“ fortunately…

While there are several "lessons to be learned."

I think the most important is the local authorities attempted to notify
the public and attempted to use the mass notification systems.  How well
they did will be part of the after action report (assuming they publish
an after action report).

No excuses about not wanting to cause a panic, and no reports (yet) of
obsolete contact information (e.g. Minot, ND train derailment in 2002).