[sbe-eas] NTCA NPR ACA and NAB joint ex-parte on EAS cybersecurity

Aaron Read readaaron at friedbagels.com
Wed Mar 15 13:53:12 EDT 2023

LOL.  Well I didn't file on behalf of anyone but myself, but it's no secret
that I've been working in public radio for (god help me) at least twenty
years now.  I think if anything their comment is a little wishy-washy,
although I hadn't considered the role of CISA in all this; that's actually
a really good point.  This sort of thing is not the FCC's bailiwick; it's
CISA's.  Now granted, inter-office cooperation between different federal
agencies is bad enough, and doubly so when they fall under different
cabinet secretaries.  Pushing this idea off on CISA is an elegant tactical
solution but consider what a mess it might be, strategically, were CISA to
actually pick up the gauntlet and attempt to regulate internet security at
radio/TV broadcast outlets.

Yikes!

- Aaron

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 12:30 PM Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> Always nice to see there is something that competitors can agree with.
>
> "Don't regulate us."
>

> https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/search-filings/filing/10314220874683
>
> On March 10, 2023, Jill Canfield and Tamber Ray of NTCA – The Rural
> Broadband Association, Brian Hurley of ACA Connects, Brad Greenberg of
> National Public Radio, and Kelly Williams and the undersigned of the
> National Association of Broadcasters met with John Evanoff, Erika Olsen,
> Austin Randazzo, David Sieradzki, and James Wiley of the Public
> Safety and Homeland Security Bureau to discuss the Notice of Proposed
> Rulemaking regarding the security of the Emergency Alert System (EAS)
> pending in the above-referenced
> sbe-eas mailing list
> sbe-eas at sbe.org

Aaron Read
readaaron at friedbagels.com
www.friedbagels.com
"Engineering: it's like math but LOUDER!"