[sbe-eas] UI is hard: Why did Floridians wake up to an early-morning emergency alert?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Apr 20 17:26:34 EDT 2023

Full statement from Florida DEM:

Emergency alert testing directives originate from the federal government.
This morning's test was supposed to be a test of televised emergency
alerts, which the Florida Association of Broadcasters normally schedules
for very early in the morning because that is when the fewest people are
watching TV (to minimize disruption). Florida contracts with a company
called EverBridge to provide the technical coding and instructions
required to push out emergency alerts. Everbridge sent the wrong technical
specifications for this alert – which ultimately pushed the alert over the
Wireless Emergency Alert system (cellphones).

Good government identifies errors, corrects them expediently, and holds
people accountable when appropriate. The Division recognizes that this
error was unacceptably disruptive and will correct it.

Nonetheless, the Division stresses the importance of being able to receive
emergency alerts as disasters can happen at any time and these alerts save
lives. Please do maintain emergency alert notifications on your cellular
device – we will ensure they are used appropriately henceforth.

Full statement from EverBridge

We have a long history of supporting the State of Florida and the Florida
Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) dating back to 2016. Our system is
used by cities, states, and entire countries around the world. We provide
powerful technology that is used for good, and to save lives. There
appears to have been an unfortunate procedural error in this monthly test
that we are investigating. As mentioned by FDEM, we too regret the
inconvenience this test caused the residents of Florida earlier this
morning. We are committed to the State of Florida and to FDEM as a
partner, as we are with all of our customers, to continue to improve and
ensure best practices are applied.