[sbe-eas] FCC Proposes New EAS Code for Missing and Endangered Persons

FRANK BELL fbell at kynx.us
Fri Feb 23 10:29:03 EST 2024

Dear Sean Donelan and SBE,
While you are quite relevant with those numbers, this is overlooking the
implementation of selectively delivering alerts which is quite possible
with nextgenTV. It is also possible with HD Radio and DAB+, though some
adaptation or reinterpretation of Part 11 would be needed. One possibility
could be that smarter radios could identify a News-Alerts-Weather (from
NWR) on mono, lower sample rate HD3 or even HD4 in a market area as well as
other FM analog alerts with program on HD1 and the improved EAS as header
data for smart receivers to select which.

As for MEP, this is already included in the CAP Event Terms list, though
the three letter code is MVS for Missing Vulnerable person Statement, which
straightforward to change to MEP.

With cellphones receiving nextgenTV, there becomes more importance to
harmonize WEA with EAS. One consideration would be to only carry alerts
which have an Automation Priority Number of 4 or lower, especially when
driving.
Frank Bell.