[SBE] Female Engineer of the Year nomination deadline near

Phil Alexander dynotherm at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 6 10:39:49 EST 2007

Good point Gary. If we are going to award a "Female Broadcast Engineer
of the Year" the company employing the engineer should not enter the
evaluation. Either the person is an outstanding engineer and has done
more than others in the same (her) class of engineers, or someone else
has. The award is not shared with the employer.

I believe similar forces may have been at play last year when we lost
valuable insight and management ability for the board in our failure
to elect Steve Davis. The apparent pool of resentment directed toward
his employer (Clear Channel) may have made the difference in the
outcome, and that should not have been an influence. IMHO, our
Society lost in the result, but perhaps he will run again.

We are engineers who must deal in facts. That should carry over into
our decisions. The job an engineer does and the contribution he or
she makes to our profession is not and should not be diminished
because some of us disagree with the practices and politics of that
engineer's employer.

Regarding the award itself, I have mixed thoughts about it for two
reasons. First, because it can be perceived as demeaning to engineers
who happen to be women. Secondly, there is a risk of a proliferation
of awards if we begin to fractionate the "Engineer of the Year" into
the "Best" of various groups. We should ask ourselves if this takes
all engineers who happen to be women out of the running for "Engineer
of the Year." It seems to me there is a very slippery slope nearby.

Since the award is established, I'm not going to advocate its
reconsideration, but suggest we consider all aspects before further
diluting awards and fractionating their prestige.

Phil Alexander - Chair, Chapter 25, Indianapolis

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065 FAX (317) 335-9037