[SBE] transmitter customer service failures

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Mon Jul 9 11:46:51 EDT 2007

We had massive damage at our transmitter site on June 18th from lightning
taking out the 12.5Kv to 480/1200A 3 phase transformer. The utility replaced the
power vault 30 hrs later and we found everything had gone crispy from the over
voltage. HVAC, strobes, Staco regulators, Isolatrons OVP, both transmitters
and just about everything else not on the full isolation UPS. We only lost the
exciter PS and a metering fuse in the Thales IOT analog, and using a 30 yr.
old ITS exciter and some ingenuity got the analog back on air in mono, using a
Sencore 3384 to demod the 310M stream to baseband A/V. But the solid state DTV
transmitter lost every fuse, power supply, several RF amps, and more. But the
bad news was Thales had nothing in stock to fix it. We finally got them to
send 4 power supplies from a demo unit and a few more trickled in. We managed to
get back on with 20% power, then 50%, but still no control systems, no power
monitoring, no replacement RF amps. The latest E-mail says their power supply
repair tech is out for a few weeks and apparently they have no one else to fix
them. So far no effort to get the RF amps fixed/swapped, and the computer
boards are all on back order from their vendor. [according to a e-mail of last
week]. When I called today, I was told no one was in the office, except a low
level customer service person. If Digital is the future of TV, we all better
have an extra box on hand for parts or near on line standby (make sure the mains
are off)

Anyone else having support problems from TX manufacturers?

Anyone besides me remember when RCA would have a whole transmitter on site in
an emergency in a matter of hours or a couple days and actually stocked parts
for just about everything ever made?

Have the manufacturers forgotten this is a TIME=CASH business? Or has
broadcasting become unimportant with mobile technology transmitters going in by the
dozens per week?

Henry Ruhwiedel
WYIN