[SBE] FAA Flight Service Stations

Jerry Paonessa jerry_paonessa at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:53:22 EDT 2007

In case you missed it, there was a paper released October 10, 2007 detailing the conversion of FAA Flight Service Stations to contractor operation. Lockheed-Martin is the contractor.

Here's the link to the statement by the USDOT Inspector General:
http://www.oig.dot.gov/StreamFile?file=/data/pdfdocs/FSS_Testimony_Web_File.pdf

I certainly missed it; if we had not called in a failed top beacon last night we would not have discovered this news. Apparently the news has been out since May 18, 2007 that the San Angelo Flight Service Station would close in June, 2007:
http://www.oig.dot.gov/StreamFile?file=/data/pdfdocs/final_w-508.pdf

Lockheed-Martin won the contract in February, 2005 and it went into effect in October, 2005. The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association has not been impressed with the contract operation:
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/a76_process.html

The take away from all this is that no matter how much we think we read about the broadcast industry and the peripherals that affect our careers, there is no such thing as too much reading.

You never know what you might miss.

Best regards,

Jerry Paonessa
Assistant Director of Technology