[SBE] Cert Q 4

Wilson Brown wilsonbrown46 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 14:31:22 EST 2007

Depends on what you mean by "first".

The first commercially available VTRs, being the Amprex VR1000 and the RCA TR1 both ran at the standard audio tape machine speeds of 7.5 and 15 ips, (although I never knew of any broarcaster that used anything but 15 ips).

There were experimental machines that had very high linear tape speeds, that mainly proved that linear recording wasn't going to be practical. I've heard horror stories about what happeded when some of those spinning reels got loose in the lab. I believe the legendary Ed Mullin worked on such a machine at 3M.

Best Regards,

Louis Brown
(508) 294-5869