[SBE] Q 2 Cert exam -- don't forget the battery All American!

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Fri Nov 16 09:50:04 EST 2007

OK -- another "old timer" comment --

Many of the early "Locktal" All-American 5 radios I worked on as a kid --
and a few I have now -- are actually tube-type-hybrids -- that is all Loktal
except the 50L6 and the 35Z5.

And for those of us who just love to spend money on "A" and "B" batteries,
please don't forget the "All-American Battery 5" -- 1R5, 1U4, 1T4, 3V4, etc.
. . these tubes being the exception to "Real radios glow in the dark" since
their filaments could not be seen to be glowing under normal light. . .

Oh yes -- the Locktal 5 -- I don't remember 'em all either, but some were
7A8, 7A5, 7B6, etc (I'd have to go look at a couple of the antique radios in
the other room) -- and for the "Marketing Guys," there were the XXL (I
think) and the XXFM. These were billed as "making your radio really hot!"
They were nothing other than regular Locktal tubes with fancy numbers -- but
the advertising sure looked good to the consumer!

Great set of contributions!

Mike/

Mike Langner, CPBE
Albuquerque, NM