[SBE] Question about Vidcad Software

Stu Casteel stu at pacific.net
Tue Nov 27 22:04:41 EST 2007

first and foremost, I'm not a shill for Walter (Dr. Walter Black) and
receive no compensation or recognition from him or CommSys - and, I'm not
your typical engineer ...

2nd - the old rule from the first days of computers - GIGO applies (if you
have to ask what GIGO stands for I'm not sure you belong here)

I've used AutoCAD for over 20 years and VidCAD for 18 years now - the best
thing I can say about it is if you do everything right it will pay for its
self - case on point, when I rebuilt HPTV after the '89 quake I placed one
cable order for all the various types of cable (about 26 miles all totaled)
and connectors based on accurate cable counts and 3D modeling for the cable
paths (rudimentary at best back then), because I was prudent and ordered
10% more than what the totals were I had less than a reel of each type of
cable and a hand full of connectors left over - I've since done projects
for (Rhymes with Baloney and it's decedents) where I've sent back pallets
of cable and smuggled 100's of gold connectors in to - well, never mind
just where but it illustrates the advantages

I've played with WireCAD but it lacked several features - since its been a
few years I won't try to compare and there was some questions about the
legality of the software but again I'm not current and will leave it at that

however I'll add a few caveats

AutoCAD has a learning curve - out of the box it is not a drafting tool -
it is a programing environment coupled with a database and when you want to
step in to full 3D design it requires a significant effort

VidCAD without the full AutoCAD is somewhat limiting - its usable, and for
most projects adequate but if you want to step beyond what is in the
database or have unique requirements it can be frustrating

A full AutoCAD and VidCAD is a significant cost - but one that can pay for
itself if used wisely

the one major downside that I've found is that it's difficult to "share the
load" when using VidCAD I've had the best results where a limited number of
engineers are actually driving the software

on the plus side

I've done projects where the entire design was done in VidCAD, handed off
drawings and cable run lists to the install crew who "cable to air" in pre
prep and the entire cutover is done on site in a single maintenance window

if you are working new construction having AutoCAD (even the lite version)
will allow you to exchange the same models as your architect & builders

having full AutoCAD and VidCAD allows you to create your own objects and
incorporate them in the database with all the attributes

once you create - transmute an object and fill in the blanks in the
database you never need to enter that information again and can extract the
required information as required

want to design a custom console for a space that only exists 'on paper' or
CAD model? want to check sight lines? need 'buy-off' from the users? - and
the new console has to go in the day the paint is dry? you can tape out the
outline of the walls on the floor and carve up a few pallets of foamcore or
you can create a realistic 3D model and check ergonomic and sight lines
even do animated walk through before you hand off the drawings to your
console builder

want to play "what ifs?' its a lot easier to move a cad block and update
the wire list than break out the screwdriver and then find out that cable
won't reach that far

in short, if you just have a small project I wouldn't bother, but if you
are building a new or significantly updating an existing facility and want
to have it all documented, I'd strongly recommend it - if you are willing
to extend the effort to learn the tools

Stu