[SBE] Imtech Video Wall

Jerry Paonessa jerry_paonessa at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:44:22 EST 2008

We have an old Imtech Video Wall, vintage 1994. The 16 Barco 27" monitors still work fine, but the computer, a '486 PC, has some issues. It recently suffered a hard drive failure. We were able to replace the hard drive, reload DOS and Windows 3.1 (!) but we ran into problems harvesting the remainder of the software from the original hard drive.

Apparently when this system was purchased, it arrived "as-is," with no separate software. Of course no one ever backed up the hard drive but over the years there were legends about the fantastic games that could be played on the machine. Sound familiar? The computer is a 486, 8 MB RAM, 214 MB hard drive with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies. It has a special card to operate the Elo touch screen. We actually did resurrect the PC. It will boot into DOS and when I edit the Autoexec.bat I know I can get it to boot into Windows - but there's no point unless we can get all the software running.

Does anyone have Imtouch software that will operate on this thing? The operating program appears to be called "Imtouch." The system worked through an ELO touch screen monitor. We were able to load the "Touch" software and calibrate the screen, but Imtouch, even though apparently loaded, will not run. It was missing several files which we found and replaced, but now we are stuck at a point where the computer prompts that it cannot load the program because the file, "MSCOMM.VBX" is out of date. That file is actually a Windows component. The latest one we downloaded from the Internet was dated May, 1995; that is newer than most of the files on the original 3.1 disks.

We are confused and stalled. If anyone has software for this beast that we can borrow, I will make sure you get your original disks back unharmed.

Thanks and best regards,
Jerry Paonessa
Assistant Director of Technology
KENS-TV/DT