[SBE] Imtech Video Wall

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Jan 16 15:59:43 EST 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 02:44 pm, Jerry Paonessa wrote:

> We have an old Imtech Video Wall, vintage 1994. The 16 Barco 27" monitors

> still work fine, but the computer, a '486 PC, has some issues. It recently

> suffered a hard drive failure. We were able to replace the hard drive,

> reload DOS and Windows 3.1 (!) but we ran into problems harvesting the

> remainder of the software from the original hard drive.

//snip//

> It was missing several files which we found and

> replaced, but now we are stuck at a point where the computer prompts that

> it cannot load the program because the file, "MSCOMM.VBX" is out of date.

> That file is actually a Windows component. The latest one we downloaded

> from the Internet was dated May, 1995; that is newer than most of the files

> on the original 3.1 disks.

Some on the list know that one of my side-lines is data recovery from crashed
drives. Not cheap, but I usually get everything back. ( 90% of the time or so )

If the old drive is still intact, *maybe*..........

Meantime, the file "out of date" is a windowsism meaning incompatible, but
not necessarily due to vintage. ( they could make the error message something
like "Dude ! Something's wrong with" and it would be just as informative, but
actually more accurate in most cases ) (( like a "corrupt" file. That almost
NEVER happens, but has become the generic windows error explanation ))

That vintage, DLL's especially, were not what DLL means. Many re-wrote
their own incompatible files, and used the same name. Kinda a Micro$oft
tradition, I guess.

If I was you, I'd grab any and every version of that visual basic VBX file
I could find, and try them all one by one. Unless it's a proprietary one-off
file, you may well find an older version that works fine.

There was also a Micro$oft general bug from that era that interpreted any
date after some cut-off which I forget as "too old" especially if it was newer.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.