[SBE] If you can only type 120 WPM, why do we need 3 Ghz processors?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Thu Jan 17 10:35:33 EST 2008

My Northgate P1 first generation Pentium, an amazing 133 MHz clock, boots in
8 seconds, my Vista with dual Pentium 2.6 G takes 42 seconds to get to the
home screen and is still churning away for another 90-120 seconds before it lets
any program start.
When I hit PRINT on the Northgate, its less than a second before the tractor
feeds starts; on the Vista, its 45 seconds or longer before the ink jet even
starts to blink. Provided I don't have to hit "allow" seven times. This is
progress?

Pet peeves: "are you sure you want to do this?"
"allow?"
"404"
"____ has encountered a problem and must shut down."
When I hit "my computer" why doesn't it show the A/V ports and other
holes?
How come when I plug and unplug external drives I get the "boing boing,"
but no icon on the screen and have to reopen "my computer"
If programs are auto install, why do you have to hit "ENTER" or
"CONTINUE" multiple times to get it to install?
When I give it a command, just do it, don't ask any more questions.
When I stick a USB memory stick in the only USB port, why does it say
"This device can work faster" (in a USB 2 port that doesn't exist).
Remember the good old days when we would punch a hole in the floppy to
make it dual sided?
If a 2" HD can store 160 GBytes, why can't a 5" floppy hold more than
1.44 Meg? Shouldn't the floppy disk be able to hold 320 GBytes? (DSDD)
The higher the frequency the denser the data right? So H fields are low
density, IR beams a little more density, Bluray even higher density, isn't it
time to go to Electron Beam Recorders (X-ray) as we had in the 70's? (tip of
the hat to 3M) Anyone remember Image transform?
Isn't black and white binary?
Has anyone noticed anything different after waiting for AOL, CS, etc has
you stay connected while it "downloads new features"?

Henry