[SBE] Ready to turn analog back on?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Wed Mar 5 12:58:10 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/5/2008 11:41:14 AM Central Standard Time,
gstewart at ctvn.org writes:

> We have 4 LPTV's and, at this time, we can't see how we can change them

> to digital by that date.

There is no requirement to change LPTV to digital. No deadline, no bandplan,
nothing. Likewise translators. In Chicago there are about a dozen scattered
LPTVs but some are covering a large part of the market from the two main
broadcast sites, Hancock and Sears. I'm 38 miles from the broadcast towers and can
get the ch 23, 36 and other LPTV's fine, but not full power CBS 2, DTV3 but they
are moving to RF channel 11. So does WTTW (11 analog, 47 DTV) turn off 11,
CBS turn on 11, then swap back a day or so later while NBC 5 and ABC 7 not
change channels? If you are changing channels is your DTV set going to look for an
analog channel and still find the DTV channel? Does everyone have to hit
RESCAN to find the "new" channels? What if your DTV channel changes pre/post?
Are the off air pickup points for Cable, Satellite (DBS) going to be ready? Are
the cable subscribers with analog tiers going to lose your station but those
paying extra for digital tier will still see you? Will the new president want
all the TV sets going black a month after taking office?
Are the terrorists ready to strike a 12:01 knowing that a lot of people won't
have any reception to know there is an emergency? The latest data says
double the number of people rely on OTA than was thought a few months ago. Two
stations in Indiana today lost their analog transmitter tubes (old age). One has
decided to not get a new one but is inundated with phones calls from irate
viewers. Their pitch, get a converter box now. Is this good or bad PR? When the
front office answers, "Reception" it might mean a whole lot different next
year. Will we have to set up "reception" phones to help consumers find their TV
signals?

Henry Ruhwiedel