[SBE] Ready to turn analog back on?

Chuck Bullett chuckbullett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 09:53:14 EDT 2008

What a great design analogy, Jonathan. Its perfect, and one that I try to
abide by every day in integrating systems for use by for our radio talent.

If my mom or dad can read my step by step instructions and "get-it", then
I've done my job (Okay... my mom--- Dad doesn't "do" technology!)

Its too bad that our manufacturing colleagues can't get on-board with that.

Regards-

Chuck Bullett
KNBR, KFOG, & KSAN
San Francisco

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Jonathan Solomon <jonstv at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a great discussion! I would like to point at that whether you put

> an A/B switch on the input to the TV ANT IN connector, or feed the ANT IN

> with the antenna and the LINE IN with the output of the STB, you will

> still

> need to split the antenna feed coming down to go to both the STB and the

> ANT

> IN ahead of the STB.

> This becomes very complicated to the average consumer. I always think

> about

> my mom, and could she do it?

> | < Antenna Feed

> /\ < Splitter 1>2

> STB ANT A/B Switch

> ANT A/B Switch

> My $0.02

> --

> Jonathan Solomon

> On 3/11/08 5:52 PM, "McGlothen, Darryl" <darryl.mcg at klewtv.com> wrote:

> > One of my pet peeves is a television commercial that states "antenna

> > tv's will cease to function on Feb. 17th, 2009." The majority of

> > television sets have antenna inputs whether they are 'digital' or

> > 'analog' and they will continue to operate as they were designed. Only

> > those analog sets that do not have a digital converter box (STB) will be

> > unable to pass OTA signals broadcast only in digital. This will not

> > impact LPTV broadcasters in spite of the hype and scare tactics

> > promulgated by cable broadcasters and ill-informed but well intentioned

> > TV broadcasters. Analog TV sets will continue to receive and display

> > analog LPTV signals without problem...analog TV sets with digital tuners

> > or STB's will continue to display OTA signals until they die of old age.

> > There is no need to 'modify STB's' to accept analog RF inputs when a

> > simple antenna switch will allow both LPTV analog and converted digital

> > STB's to be routed to the antenna input of any analog TV set. There is

> > no functionality, however, to upconvert LPTV analog signals to digital

> > receivers and therein lies the only potential loss to LPTV broadcasters.

> > Proper (and accurate) education of broadcasters, re-broadcasters and

> > viewers will eliminate the dirth of confusion spawned by unscrupulous

> > cable advertisers.

> > Darryl

Charles Bullett; CSRE -
San Francisco, CA 94105