[SBE] Ready to turn analog back on?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Wed Mar 12 11:52:17 EDT 2008

For those of us old enough to remember the "sweet 16" speaker system from
Popular Electronics (and repeated in other publications): When CD's first came
out and Radio Dhark advertised digital speakers, I labeled a set with 0 and 1
symbols to represent 16 hex. I carried it around and told store clerks how
superior it was as the digital signals would drive each speaker so that the all 0
(16 zeros) was no sound, and all 1's (16) was the loudest and the digital amp
(a solid state Dynaco 400 with the blue lighted VU meters with binary scale)
separated the digits to drive each speaker as needed and how it was so superior
to their 2-3 way digital speakers. LOL LOL I still have the Dynaco 400 and
Marantz Model 20 with the 1" CRT. (along with the FM 5 and matching preamp).

A friend was all braggy about his new RS digital stereo. He had a CD of the
1812 overture that had a warning label; WARNING 6 Hz digital content, use only
on digitally rated speakers. The lousy 8" speakers did nothing on the cannon
fire. We put it on my Empire 9000M 1963 vintage speakers, 12" woofer with 40
pound magnet, mid and tweeter, marble top, and made the walls shake. That was
with a Dynaco 70 stereo tube amp. We took the CD to a 50 kW RCA Ampliphase
TX, that was DC to light and popped 3 fluorescent lamps from the pulsing RF
power. Nothing quite like sub 10 Hz at 120% modulation. Sweet! [It has enough
residual FM that Motorola called one day and asked when we had begun stereo AM
broadcasting. LOL] I had bought the speakers/Dynaco when working at Olson
Electronics in the early 60's, I knew it was going to be good when I cracked one
of the 8 x 8 foot windows with the opening of the Grand Fugue by Bach low pedal
organ notes from and LP on an Empire turntable and Shure cartridge. I used a
CD copy to test my big ol speakers in my 79 Caddy, great for blowing those
idiot thumpers that seem to pull up beside/behind you with their window rattlers
going thump thump rattle rattle. Dig this organ music from Granddad's old
car at 1800 watts! (the 550+ HP impresses them too). I used to have a part 15
AM and FM transmitter preset for the gutter radio stations, ready to pump some
elevator syrup Hollywood Strings, Montevani, etc over their car radios too.
Don't mess with engineers, we can take away your TV and Radio!

Henry