[SBE] digital radio

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Thu Mar 13 21:59:51 EDT 2008

Reflecting back a few hours on the list, I think I like the idea of mandatory
HD radio. Shucks, it might have saved Quad FM and stereo AM before the music
left WABC, WLS, WOJO, WCFL, etc. I bet the politicians missed this as a way to
mandate a full converstion from analog to digital radio, free up some
spectrum to auction for billions of dollars, generate STB's for analog radios to get
HD/IBOC, an NTIA coupon program to buy the converters. Shucks, this could be a
whole new wave of consumer and government spending! Before you know it,
there would be a sunset rule> Oh, never mind, that was only to protect night
skywave contours. "WFAW Clear Channel 940, Ft Atkinson WI (250 watts day, no
night, seldom a mention of the 50 KW FM.)
My first DJ/engineer gig, 1967. using a Westinghouse TX with mercury vapor
rectifiers you got going by dropping the trap door to the basement. :-)

Henry </HTML>