[SBE] Discussion topics

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri Mar 14 12:02:11 EDT 2008

Maybe we should set up a new Standards Committee to compete with SMPTE, IEEE.
I think SMPTE just accepted the 2" quad tape reel specs as final.

Lets sponsor a new ATSC group/lab to investigate a new DTV system to fill
those empty analog channels and offer better digital compression than 8VSB-T. We
could start with MPEG 4 and MPH formats not dependent on compatibility with
the now 20 year old DTV system that will obsolete as soon as the chips are old
enough to discontinue. We could start with mobile/portable and fixed reception
as the goal, rather than fixed only as 8VSB did.

Henry