[SBE] Industry retirement situation

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Fri Mar 14 15:58:58 EDT 2008

The SBE asks if members would like to provide their birthdates. For legal reasons, we do not require applicants to provide it. Some data is available, although I do not know how accessible it is.

Without even looking at it though, it's obvious that we have an aging member base. Look at chapter meetings. Look at the membership meeting at the NAB convention. We're an older group. For this discussion, it doesn’t matter if the average member is 5, 10, 15 or 20 years from retirement.

It is the SBE's concern to attract new members into the society, but it's the industry's concern to attract new people into the industry. The SBE can provide professional networking, educational opportunities and some career services to our members. While our industry and technology have changed, so have other industries. Whereas broadcasting used to be the glamorous technical industry, other industries have taken that recognition. Other industries are also attracting the new technical talent because of their consumer awareness and image as well as the work conditions and salaries.

I am moderating a session called "Communicating with Management" on April 14 from 10:30 a.m. to noon in S228 at the 2008 NAB Show. The panelists are mostly managers, not engineers. I welcome you to attend and ask questions about the future of broadcast engineering from these panelists.

Chriss