[SBE] Industry retirement situation

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Fri Mar 14 16:53:30 EDT 2008

Hi all,

In my case among other gigs, I was a partner in a stand alone 2.5 kW
full time AM. Did all the consulting work and along with the
principal partner/GM did all the field work to get to 2.5 kW (GM
was/is a ham). I did not "work" there. we had a staff announcer that
took care of routine studio stuff.

In the 11 years we owned the station (we had purchased a Harris 2.5
SX and had a Harris 833A tube type standby) the only TX maintenance
was to clean the air filter and one time replace one fuse in a PDM
card. We used to put the Standby on air on Monday evenings to show
it we still loved it. There was no way enough work for a full time
engineer even with the computer automation.

At my last TV gig we started with 6 FT guys in studio engineering
maintenance and 2 FT at each of the 4 TV transmitters (+ P.T. for
weekends, vac relief etc). Then (1970) transmitters, cameras, VTR's
and film islands needed constant attention (no ENG yet) . When I
retired 12 years ago the studio was down to 3 maint, one at 3
transmitters plus a rover PT, then 7 Class A FM's, 24/7 operations
and a nightly news cast (unusual for PTV) and with equipment upgrades
along the way and expansion to 3 studios and lots of ENG and EFP the
maint load plummeted. The TV FT staff for the most part handled all
remotes and live ENG feeds to keep their jobs.

Again the stuff has gotten so reliable no one can justify large staff
and it continues to get even more reliable or so complicated that one
must go the the manufacturers because they don't want to share
proprietary circuit info. 4-8 layer circuit boards haven't helped either.

Along the way I got my PE License and haven't looked back.

Still more work than I need.

Regards,

Larry Will, P.E.
W3LW