[SBE] Industry retirement situation

jack leishman k8xx at chartermi.net
Mon Mar 17 23:02:57 EDT 2008

There will always be a need for the well rounded BC engineer that can do
most anything called upon to accomplish, but BC electronics has truly become
a complicated world. Many items must be repaired at the manufacturers
facilities because of the lack of test equipment, trained engineers and the
quick turn around makes it logical. Again, an older, up to date engineer may
be able to fix most anything given adequate test equipment, but, the fact
is, that most small and medium market stations cannot afford the personnel
or equipment to accomplish this end. As more of the veteran engineers move
on, the fix anything problem becomes that more grave. The educational
requirements of a station engineer is generally based upon what management
thinks they can get adequately get away with. Management would do well to
provide full educational benefits to help groom their future engineering
mainstays. With the loss of many college level communications programs, FCC
licensing and declining interest in BC engineering, the SBE certification
program should logically be used more by broadcast employers to screen their
applicants. It seems to be a "no brainer" that some level of competence is
necessary, but who measures it and how are the pertinent and up to date
requirements determined. The thing I see missing in many young engineers is
the conceptual understanding of what is going on and I am certain that some
currently considered analytical entry skills of the BC technician must give
way to a concepts only approach given the enormous scope and change within
our field. Every step of the educational process must allow for a deeper
understanding as required. A conceptual and logical thinker with an
understanding of business will always be employable and trainable. I
would guess if you haven been required to use it in the past 5 years, it is
probably obsolete and not hardly worth knowing or testing. An engineer must
constantly update his credentials to remain viably employable and I can't
imagine anyone not recommending further education, at any level. Something
must change, the question is: what and who is going to do it? My 2 cents
... I'd rather work with a ham any day. jack K8XX CSRE