[SBE] defining broadcast engineering education

John Freberg john at freberg.com
Wed Mar 19 00:59:15 EDT 2008

To the PE's on this thread:

I'm interested in pursuing PE certification. Aside from the formal
requirements, can you shed some light on the practical side of
attaining the certification?:

-Do you know of accredited BSEE/BSEETprograms that will accommodate a
working professional? (I'm not going be a full-time student in a 4-
year undergraduate program.)

-How does an individual working in private practice satisfy the
apprenticeship requirements?

-What qualifies as relevant experience with respect to satisfying
certification requirements?

-With respect to experience requirements, is a PE required to vouch
for the candidate, or are employer references sufficient?

-Are there insurance, legal or liability issues facing un-certified
broadcast engineering consultants that compel us to get certified?

-Can you get certified in a state where the requirements are more
favorable to your circumstances and still get the associated benefits
and privileges?

-Do you have to be licensed in a particular state to do work in that
state?

-What resources are out there to assist a candidate in the study
process and preparation for the exams?

-Does SBE/IEEE/SCTE membership have any benefit regarding the
certification process?

-Assuming I'm certified in a particular discipline (Electrical
Engineering), how does this affect other disciplines that I work with
regularly (like towers, construction, HVAC)?

I assume I'm not alone in my interest in this. Perhaps this is a
subject for consideration by the SBE Education Committee.

John Freberg