[SBE] Can Your Manager Tell Ysbeou What You Do For A living?

William T. Hayes wt_hayes at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 21 11:53:01 EDT 2008

Do you really want the GM of the station out at the transmitter site or do
you want his or her confidence? Very few GM's come up through engineering,
most come through sales or news so they will have a limited understanding of
the technology involved and trying to find a way to have them learn what you
know is probably not going to happen. My opinion is that you are successful
when your GM and your coworkers for that matter, will listen to your counsel
on what should be done to implement technology at the facility and make
their decisions based on their confidence that even though they don't fully
understand the technology, you do and they trust your judgment.

I have taken GM's and corporate people out to transmitter and translator
sites. Here at Iowa Public Television I have even hosted a board meeting at
a transmitter site. The purpose has never been to have them understand what
I do for a living. It is to give them a point of reference so that when I
talk about transmitters, towers, antennas and transmission line they have a
point of reference for the size of the components.

My opinion is that you don't focus on enhancing your manager's ability to
tell what you do for a living but on demonstrating that know what you do for
a living and because you do, they don't need to worry about it. One of the
best complements I have ever received from a GM was when he returned from a
two week vacation that he didn't want to go but family commitments required
him to go. When he came back he and I had lunch where he told me that while
he was gone he worried about the news ratings, the programming ratings, the
sales figures and the budget. The epiphany for him was never once did he
worry about the station being off the air or any technical problems because
he was sure that I and my staff could handle anything that came along. For
me, that was being a successful engineer.

Bill

William T. Hayes
Director of Engineering and Technology
Iowa Public Television