[SBE] Can Your Manager Tell Ysbeou What You Do For A living?

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Sat Mar 22 15:39:27 EDT 2008

Bill in Albuquerque wrote -

>The challenge is to communicate with your

> boss before their eyes glaze over!

I suspect that everyone has an - eye glaze
threshold - that causes us to tune-out when
we have either heard all we wanted to know
about a subject or the matter became to
complicated or detailed etc. This is a matter
where often the fault runs both ways.

One of the reasons I suspect that GM's and
other technophobes are reluctant to go to
a technical facility has a good deal to do with
their fear of feeling out of place and short on
knowledge. Think of this as your wife asking
you to go dress shopping or perhaps spend
and hour or two in a fabric store! No one
wants to be placed in a position like this.

The real challenge is to make this trip
productive for the GM and perhaps the best
way to do is this is to make it relational. Nothing
is likely to help more than to have something in
common. For example - You want to spend
$2000 on an electric toilet (been there)..how
better to explain a need for an expenditure than
to have the person whose signature you need,
come see for them selves. Inviting the GM to
help with the solution is a lot easier when
they can fully understand the nature of the
problem. Don't forget your documentation
to support the need for that new gizmo..and
be prepared to explain the relative costs, in terms
that the GM will understand.

Ever notice how, in Radio, the GM will be
quick to sign that PO for the latest Audio
Processor but be reluctant to sign off on one
for something else at the transmitter site? It
has a lot to do with the fact that for some things
he - understands- the value. It's our job to
not just get the GM to approve an expense, but
to - inform him - of the value. Remember he
needs to understand the need and after that
how the expense will answer that need and,
most importantly, understand the value of
that purchase in terms of how it benefits
the operation.

You may well find that the head of your
accounting department can be of great assistance
in dealing with the GM when it comes to money.
Consider taking this person to lunch for a quick
lesson.

Bottom Line (s)

> Do your research.

> Have your alternatives ready.

> Present your case in economic terms that the

GM can relate to...

> Always talk with the GM using terms that

he can relate to .

And MOST important -

Remember that he too likely reports to someone
and he too will often have to respond to them as
to why an expense was made...he will need plenty
of justification and backup...Make that chore
easy on him and he will be more receptive to you.

Clay Freinwald
Entercom-Seattle