[SBE] Ready to turn analog back on?

Bob Reite br at telcen.com
Mon Apr 7 23:24:56 EDT 2008

I just got my converter box coupon so I went to Circuit City and picked
up a Zenith DTT-900 CECB. Although in theory I'm line of sight to the
TV transmitting antennas, I'm in a notch with hills on either side, so
there is a fair amount of multipath. Analog signals are watchable, but
not good. In our market (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre), all of the analog TV
stations are on UHF, except for a low power Catholic station on channel 7.

The box worked well, except for the two digital stations (the NBC and
CBS affiliates) that are on VHF channels 11 and 13 and the ABC affiliate
on channel 49. I made a VHF dipole cut for channel 12, which worked well
enough to get the converter to operate on these two stations. This may
turn out to be a major issue in our market, since most people that are
receiving their TV over the air only have UHF antennas.

I aimed the UHF antenna for the best results on the ABC affiliate
(WNEP), and it's usable now, but still with some audio dropout. Until
the tower collapsed, WNEP had the best analog signal in the market,
their digital signal seems to be the worst.