[SBE] Copper Thefts

Carl Sundberg carlesundberg at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 00:57:38 EDT 2008

Hi Y'all,

I've been reading the mail about cooper thefts and it makes me remember a wild idea that worked to keep people from stealing outside metal speakers from schools. A technician found one hanging by the 70 V line but disconnected from the bracket. The theif was apparently scared off by the thought of high voltage. It made me realize thieves can read but don't always understand what they read, so I had professionally made signs that read: DANGER 20,000 OHMS - HANDLE ONLY WITH X19A GLOVES! After they were posted on the speakers, no speaker was ever stolen again. I reported that to a hardware store owner in town one day and he told me he had several people actually come in asking where they could get X19A GLOVES... Thieves were actually willing to buy special gloves so they could steal speakers... I suggest that someone try having professionally made signs that read... DANGER! 25 MILLION OHMS INSIDE THE FENCE! EXPOSURE TO THIS HIGH OHMAGE WITHOUT DEFCON 5A
PROTECTIVE GEAR WILL CAUSE SEVERE IRREVERSIBLE INTERNAL ORGAN ATROPHY! CONTACT ENGINEERING AND HAVE THEM TURN OFF THE OHMAGE GENERATORS BEFORE ENTERING!!!

I know it sounds crazy... That's what I was accused of being when I suggested the speaker signs, but it worked. Poeple know how to somewhat protect themselves from high voltage, but no one will be able to figure out how to protect themselves from high ohmage! Fear is the best weapon...

Carl Sundberg
3318 Coraly Ave.
Eugene, OR 97402-6544

Cell: 541 520-2867