[SBE] The SBE Roundtable

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Mon May 5 01:03:51 EDT 2008

Kent posted (and then immediately unsubscribed):

> The problem Chriss is that there are no rules yet you ask use to

> live by the rules.???? You say it is not YOUR list yet you are the [one] that stops the

> conversation.

There are rules:
http://www.sbe.org/Roundtable.php

And if you notice, what I have been striving for is looser than the rules. Discussions about the Society is the official purpose, but tech support and relevent broadcast engineering discussion are encouraged.

And without a moderator, this list would be all over the place, like so many of the other existing lists. I belong to a list to discuss geneology of a specific region in Germany, and that list has no problem staying on topic. I never see rants about politics or snow fall. Why is that so hard to maintain here? The purpose has been stated several times.

Political discussions and non-engineering-related conversations are not within the scope of the list. Most of all, personal attacks, even those leveled against parties not on the list or public figures, will not be tolerated.

> Havent we been here before?? This type of message comes from you

> about once a month.

This "type" of message comes up when the list strays. Yes, we've been here before, and the point is still being missed. The Roundtable is not a social list, it is a professional list. Because some people want a social spot for SBE members, we are creating a social list. In the meantime, this is the SBE Roundtable. Items posted to the Roundtable that are not on topic will be redirected to the social list.

Soon you will have the best of both worlds.

Chriss