[SBE] LED tower lighting

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Mon May 5 13:19:20 EDT 2008

We have strobes. They lasted 20 years with 3 failures (other than flash
bulbs) then a hit on the utility line took out the entire system. We replaced it
at a mighty big cost. The new fixtures are plastic not glass/stainless. A
lightning strike took out two side strobes and locked one in daylight mode really
annoying the neighbors. We've been waiting 5 weeks for the crew to return with
parts to fix the two day only mode fixtures, the controller, and 1 crispy
fixture. So much for Flashtek. Apparently no spare parts on hand since
Dielectric took over. We had a regular maintenance once every 2 years to replace flash
lamps with the original system. Even a lightning strike that caused the
Bogner antenna to arc over and melt that burned the 480 V power lines in the
conduit didn't damage the old strobe fixtures. I have 3 tower levels and 1 top at
1008' in the middle of corn fields, suburban sprawl and 35 miles from the
closest tall structures in downtown Chicago.

Henry