[SBE] going green

Reynolds, Paul (CXR-San Antonio) Paul.Reynolds at CoxRadio.com
Tue May 6 11:56:09 EDT 2008

Good analysis. My savings is the no hassle!!!!! Besides monetary to my
GM of course.

Paul K. Reynolds, C.E.
paul.reynolds at coxradio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On Behalf Of
Chris Murray
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:39 AM
To: 'sbe member discussion mail list'
Subject: Re: [SBE] going green

Well as promised, here is a real world cost analysis of cost savings
that I
did recently. Remember this was done two years ago. I modified my
figures as
local electrical rates have changed. It's still not bad. The cost of the
fixtures has also come down and with price discounts can significantly
lower
the return on investment time. 2006 Retail prices are shown and the ROI
is
about 7 years 6 months.

COSTS OF OPERATING INCANDESENT TOWER LIGHTING

Electrical Costs

Four 620 Watt Bulbs operating at 50% 1240 watts
Six 116 Watt bulbs operating @ 100% 696 Watts

Total Watts 1.936 Kilowatts

Operate these 12 hours daily 365 Days 4380 Hours
Kilowatt Hours per year 8479.68 Kilowatt Hours

EWEB Rates = 5.85 cents per kilowatt hour $ 496.90
Demand Rate $4.164 per kilowatt hour $ 96.73

TOTAL ELECTRICAL USE $ 593.63

10 Years of use at current rates $ 5936.30
RELAMPING COSTS

Labor 3 hours @ $150.00 per hour $ 450.00
Lamps 116 w. = $5.21 X 6 $ 31.26
Lamps 620 w. = $46.80 X 4 $ 187.2
TOTAL PER YEAR $ 668.46

10 years of re-lamping each year $ 6684.6

10 years of operating standard tower lights $ 12620.9

OPERATING LED TOWER LIGHTS

Electrical Costs

Two TRW Beacon Lighting assemblies
at 120 w. Ea. 4380 Hours @ 50% 120 Watts

Six TRW Side 810 assemblies @ 8 watts each 48 Watts

Total Watts 168 watts
Operate 12 Hours daily, 365 days 4380 Hours

Kilowatt Hours per year 735.84 Kilowatt Hours

EWEB Rates 5.85 cents per Kilowatt hour $ 43.04 per year

Demand rate $4.164 per Kilowatt hour $ 8.39 per year

TOTAL ELECTRICAL USE $ 51.43 per year

RELAMPING COSTS NONE

10 years of operating LED tower lighting $ 514.30

TOTAL SAVINGS IN 10 YEARS OF OPERATING $ 12106.6
COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH CHANGING OUT THE FIXTURES

Tower Riggers quote $ 3000.00

TRW L810 Side Lamps 6 ea. @ $235.00 ea. $ 1,410

TRW L864 Beacon Lamps 2 ea. @ $2400 ea. $ 4,800

Approximate Cost of replacing fixtures $ 9,210
Return on Investment
Change out divided by savings = .76 / 120 months = 91 months.

Intangibles.

1. No longer necessary for 6 FM stations and two television station to
power
way down to replace the lamps.

2. No Bird problems and the FAA asking you to change out anyway.

3. Why not strobes? With the winters in Eugene where the fog settles in
the
valley, strobes tend to flash the cloud making the flashing light
visible
over the entire community. WE would get lots of UFO calls.

Chris