[SBE] Black Balled

jonstv at gmail.com jonstv at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:38:13 EDT 2008

Thats just how Ed speaks :)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Croghan <billc at lvradio.com>

Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:40:12
To:'sbe member discussion mail list' <sbe at sbe.org>
Subject: Re: [SBE] Black Balled

Thanks for the comments Edwin. Is it just me or are others having problems
with your posts? They seem to have no carriage returns (showing my age),
that is to say there are no paragraphs. Everything runs together. This
happens in the part you originate as well as the quoted portions of others
messages.

Bill

Bukont

> Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:05 PM

> To: sbe member discussion mail list

> Subject: Re: [SBE] Black Balled

> Bill,

> Well said. Let me add where the SBE Cert comes in handy, on the job,

beyond the employer.

> If your duties are more than the general purpose CE, and you are engaging

regularly with

> other technical disciplines, many of whom do have certification

requirements, them letters

> after your name will tend to get you some respect from others. I have had

one job

> interview where in fact the SBE Cert. was asked for, and I got that

job.Edwin Bukont CSRE,

> DRB, CBNT Comm-Struction and Services LLC P.O. Box 629; Bel Air, MD 21014

USA V-

> 410.879.5567 F- 240.368.1265 C- 240.417.2475 ebukont at msn.com Member: IEEE,

SBE, AES, PMI

> Digital Media and Power Systems Integrators. A Harris Broadcast Channel

Partner > From:

Subject: Re:

> [SBE] Black Balled> > Disclaimer, I just received my SBE plaque for 15

years as a Cert

> chairman> and am a CPBE.> I have never felt the SBE certification was a

disadvantage to

> me,> but I have no way of knowing how much it helped me. I've only had to

apply> for 3

> jobs in the last 35 years, and they came to me from my reputation. I> do

know that when

> I'm hiring, I look very favorably at the Certification as> not only a

method of telling

> how much the person knows (or how well they can> take tests) but as an

indicator of how

> much they really care about their> profession. Lack of certification does

not mean they

> are unqualified, but> having the certification is a definite plus

indicating they are

> probably> really interested in the industry not just the pay check. Maybe

I'm just> lucky

> and have worked for some great companies but I know of none of them> that

would have used

> the certification as a disqualifier. I've heard a lot> of things blamed

for disqualifying

> someone when in fact it was bad> references, poor job history, lack of

skills specifically

> needed or skills> stuck in the past without keeping up with the industry

that were the

> real> cause for disqualification. In a big company the word would get

around>

> intramurally.> > Bill> > Bill Croghan CPBE WBØKSW> Chief Engineer, >

> KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD/KWWN> Lotus Broadcasting, Las Vegas, NV> > > > > > >

-----Original

> Message-----> > From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On

Behalf Of>

> Adrienne Abbott> > Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:44 AM> > To: 'sbe

member discussion

> mail list'> > Subject: Re: [SBE] Black Balled> > > > > > >From Ted: "Greed

and shortcuts

> never leads to success!"> > > > The same thing started happening about

five years ago in

> the newsrooms.> Now> > the newscasts are filled with very junior reporters

who can only

> write in> > cliché's and producers who don't know how to stack a show

while management> >

> is trying to figure out why their ratings are in the toilet. Once in a>

while> > someone

> wants to complain to me about how much better off the industry was> > back

when the FCC

> licensed engineers. My response is that they have the> > right to hire

qualified technical

> staff and that SBE Certification is one> > way to ensure that they are

getting a

> knowledgeable employee. At least> there> > are a few GM's out there who

want quality