[SBE] CE Job ad

Dennis C. Brown d.c.brown at att.net
Thu May 15 01:52:16 EDT 2008

Rather than writing directly to your draft, let me suggest a way of
thinking about the process of finding an employee. I recognize that
you're helping a client, rather than preparing your own job
announcement, but I'll use "you", rather than "your client", for
convenience of expression. As a first step, ask yourself not what
abilities the person should have, but what is the work which you need to
have done. Analyze your competitive position in the industry and what
you are able to offer to induce a person to do that work.

Unless you are one of the major TV networks and are inundated with
highly qualified resumes every day, your job announcement should be
drawn broadly to solicit a large number of applicants rather than being
drawn with such specificity that it excludes all but the one peg which
will exactly fit a precisely-defined hole. Few persons are qualified by
skills, experience, and personality to be chief engineer of (or in) a
growing group and network, so it may be best to draw resumes from as
many of them as possible. There are two risks to including too many
up-front, absolute requirements: 1) no such person may exist or may see
the advertisement; and 2) each specific requirement which you include in
your job announcement will discourage some potential applicants who
might, in fact, be your overall best choices, so, unless you won't
consider anyone who hasn't won the Nobel Prize in Physics, don't post it
as a basic requirement. Once you have resumes in hand from persons who
believe that they will pass through your broad screen, you can then
screen each more finely. When you've selected those candidates whose
resumes indicate potential, you can inquire from each what knowledge and
skills the person posseses which relate to the specific job.

A job posting not only has to give the applicant a chance to sell
the applicant to the company, but it also has to sell the company to the
pool of potential applicants. Tell the reader why the opportunity is
worth the applicant's seeking it. This is especially important if the
work week is 60 hours at minimum wage in Death Valley.

I do have one question which goes to the necessity of the employer's
defining itself accurately in its job announcement. The draft says that
the company is seeking a self-directed individual, yet it also requires
the ability to take verbal and written direction. These descriptions
seem to be in conflict and may indicate the need for the employer to
more fully consider the relationship which it desires to have with the
person whom it hires.

Good luck with it. I might have been interested, myself, but I have
only the ability to create unrealistic budgets, so I'm out.

Curt Brown