[SBE] Ultrasonic Leak Detection

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Fri May 16 10:08:02 EDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 09:48 am, Chris Spacone wrote:

> I would like to avoid pouring lots of soapy water all over waveguide

> flanges, couplings and the rest of the system to find a nagging leak or

> leaks.

That is the cheapest and most common way.
Smoke works well in still air.

> Here is the question(s): Anybody have any experience with ultrasonic leak

> detectors? If so are they a vast improvement over shotgunning the problem?

> Any recommendations for a source / manufacturer? Perils / pitfalls?

I can see a problem in any noisy environment. I'm sure all of us would be
interested in the result if you go that way.

Personally, a sniffer would be a better shot.
This would require that you can introduce some inert gas into the system
that won't be a later problem if not purged, but those gas sniffers
are incredibly sensitive, especially for any non-atmospheric gas.
Get within two feet of a leak, you'll find it.
Check with a local hospital and see if you can't borrow something.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

"The medium is the massage."