[SBE] activating inactives

w7msl at tconl.com w7msl at tconl.com
Fri Jun 20 12:36:13 EDT 2008

Our chapter 74 covers two markets, Omaha and Lincoln. We went to
almost exclusively lunch meetings several years ago. Everybody has
to eat, it seems. Sometimes we have a night meeting depending on the
program. Sometimes we have a meeting in or closer to Lincoln. In
August we do seminars all day - usually 4 of them, 2 on either side
of lunch - in Lincoln at the state broadcasters convention. Total
attendance at these is generally our best of the year: around 40,
sometimes 50 or more, which is not terribly bad for the number of
engineers we have here. Also, the state convention brings out some
of the "hinterlanders" we only see once a year.

At least one of our members is in the cellular telephone
industry. We need to be thinking about where the industries are
headed in broadcasting. Some day, the content might be broadcast
through the cell tel networks more so than directly over the air. It
makes sense to get these folks into the family. Hey, it's all RF, right?

Mike Shane, CBRE