[SBE] Certification

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Tue Jun 24 13:33:20 EDT 2008

Carl wrote: I liked the old days when you passed a test at the FCC office
and your certification meant something.

Carl--
Your note brought memories pouring back of how enthusiastic I was when I
began my broadcasting career and how important it was at the time to pass my
FCC exams. Several of us from San Jose State all drove up to San Francisco
together to take our Third Class exams--car pooling is not a new idea,
kids--and when we all passed we celebrated our tickets to the Brave New
World of Radio with breakfast at the wonderful French café in the basement
of what is now the Neiman Marcus Department Store. It was the same when we
got our Second's and our First's rated dinner at Omar Khyyam's in the
Financial District. Ever since then my First has been a prolific meal ticket
because inside or outside the broadcast industry, it's always meant that I
KNEW MY STUFF, a critical asset when you're a girl. No one ever accused me
of getting the job because I had passed the "profile" test. Even now, years
after the FCC did away with the First and replaced it with the "General", I
keep my First on the wall in my office.

When I asked one of my friends at the FCC about the change, the response was
"we are no longer in the employment agency business. It's up to private
industry to decide what makes a qualified employee." Unfortunately,
sometimes when you leave things up to private business, the bottom line
becomes the determining factor and that's not always in the best interest of
serving the community. As we've seen in this discussion, there's plenty of
conflict in deciding what makes a good certification program and what's in
that program that makes someone a well-qualified employee.

One of the biggest factors I see in broadcasting today is that the majority
of the current crop of General Managers comes from the Sales Department. As
a result, they know nothing of SBE and SBE certification programs. But even
in sales, they've heard of the FCC.

Adrienne