[SBE] Ultrasonic Leak Detection Revisited

Chris Spacone cspacone at socal.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 23:36:08 EDT 2008

Darryl,

I could advocate for both positions. On the one hand a great deal can be
said for 'open source' (freely available, easily updated and so on).
Potential down sides might be the perception that 'everything is worth
precisely what you pay for it'. In other words a Wiki like project might not
carry the same 'weight' as an association sponsored (and managed) project.

If the project were to be a 'closed source' operation it could tax the
capacity of the SBE to effectively manage (creating the editorial
outline(s), gathering the information, collating, updating and distributing
and so on).

What I envision is something along the lines of the Internet Engineering
Task Force's RFC process. Essentially, the SBE would form a committee of
greybeards that would publish the framework for RBP's along with an index.
This index would be organized in a hierarchical fashion. An example could be
drawn from an earlier email thread about transmitter site management. An
example of an RBP (recommended best practice) that might be relevant would
be describing the process that brings in a new client especially with
respect to how the equipment receives power, grounding communications,
contact information and finally documentation.

Once the RBP outline is complete and an index is completed it could then be
published. The greybeards would then receive responses, review them for
completeness, technical relevance and shepherd them through the process by
working with the RBP author. Once completed the RBP would be published and
hopefully become the 'standard' for doing business in the radio and tv
broadcasting biz.

I recognize that this approach is beaurocratic and that many would find the
process less than satisfying. But I really think we need to start someplace.
We have lots and lots of manuals describing the nuts and bolts of a video
signal and even maybe a little bit about how to use the video server that
makes the signal but nearly nothing about how to effectively arrange a group
of servers in meaningful ways. Everybody seems to have an opinion and
getting to a universal starting point could be especially helpful.

Because let's face it; the IT, telecommunications and broadcasting world are
becoming more and more interlinked. It is the rare facility being built
today that doesn't have a connection to another piece of gear in the plant
or outside and that connection probably has something to do with the
internet.

-Chris