[SBE] Radio Shack 12/13.8 VDC power supplies that can cause severe problems -- maybe !

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Mon Jul 14 20:30:16 EDT 2008

Hello all !

Many of us use these power supplies in our stations.

It might be good to check yours !!

Here's why !!

I don't have one, but I bet the issue is with the power cord
grounding/wiring !

Mike Langner, CPBE

Washington, DC - Jul 2, 2008 - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
and Radio Shack issued a voluntary recall of two models of the retailer's dc
power supplies. Users are warned to stop using the recalled products
immediately. Radio Shack notes that there are about 160,000 affected units
in the recall.

Radio Shack's part numbers are 22-507, a 3A supply with an automotive
lighter jack and binding posts, and 22-508, a 15A supply with binding posts,
with date codes from 08A04 through 01A08. The date code format is MMAYY
where MM is the month and YY is the year. The catalog number and date code
are located on the back of the power supply. The supplies were sold at Radio
Shack stores from October 2004 through January 2008. Power supplies with a
green dot on the product and the product's packaging have already been
repaired and are not included in the recall. The recalled power supplies are
wired incorrectly, posing electrocution and fire hazards. No injuries have
been reported yet.

Owners of recalled supplies can return them to any Radio Shack store for a
free repair. Registered owners of the recalled power supplies will be mailed
a notice. Additional information is available through Radio Shack at
800-843-7422 or www.radioshack.com/recall.