[SBE] 480p

Gary Stewart gstewart at ctvn.org
Thu Aug 28 17:30:38 EDT 2008

Anyone using 480p? How does it compare with 720p and 1080i, and of
course 480i? Does it really "release 40% more resolution" as claimed in
an industry white paper many years ago.

[excerpt]

"One thing often not understood is that 525 interlaced cameras actually
record 40 per cent more vertical resolution than we can see on a
standard monitor. When that video is upconverted, you release that 40
per cent of vertical information. And, because we are upconverting into
an oversampling domain the viewer perceives all of that extra 40 per
cent of resolution. That's why when you do a direct one-to-one
upconversion the 525 (480) picture looks a lot better than you might
have expected."

[end of excerpt]

Gary Stewart
Cornerstone TV