[SBE] Consumer DTV Education

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Fri Aug 29 15:35:09 EDT 2008

Great message, Tony! Because consumers/viewers get as much as 30% (or
more) commercial air-time while they're trying to watch their favorite
episode of 'Lost' or 'All My Children' or whatever... they perceive
Television Broadcasters as trying to sell them something whether we are
presenting 'educational information' about the DTV transition or just
warning them of the impending Analog shut-off. One thing we, as
Broadcasters, must do is remind viewers that free, over-the-air
television is just that...F-R-E-E! The equipment they must own to
receive TV programing, however, is not free; so, in spite of our efforts
to 'explain' DTV and demonstrate the visual advantages of the format
(rather than the equipment), the consumer is pressured to buy something
from someone. Any suggestions as to how we may approach that hurdle?

Darryl McGlothen, CBNT
SBE #117 Chapter Chair