[SBE] Consumer DTV Education

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Fri Aug 29 15:43:29 EDT 2008

I'm on the board of the West Lane Translators in Florence, OR. The only
way people in our area can get free over the air TV is via one of our
translators. I get calls on a regular basis from folks who've gotten
converter boxes for their legacy TV sets and complain that they can't
get anything. As a point of information, only 24 percent of all
television transmitters are required to make the change to digital in
February. According to the FCC's As of *December 31, 2007*:

UHF COMMERCIAL TV 796

VHF COMMERCIAL TV 583

UHF EDUCATIONAL TV 252

VHF EDUCATIONAL TV 128

______________________________

TOTAL Full Power 1759* *

TOTAL CLASS A STATIONS 556

TOTAL TRANSLATORS 4271

TOTAL LOW POWER TV 2295

TOTAL of these three *7122*

None of the 7122 have to make any change at any time as of right now. I
have no doubt that it will come to pass, but not as of right now! The
FCC has really created a mess with this split situation and the spots
that say you must have a converter box doesn't help. There are many
communities that have a mix of Class A, Low Power and the Full Powers
that have to make the switch. If the converter boxes don't have pass
through, those poor folks are screwed! You think you're getting calls
now, wait until February. :-)

* Larry Bloomfield* - /KA6UTC/
1980 25th St. - Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902-2424 (Everything)
* WWW.Tech-Notes.TV <http://WWW.Tech-Notes.TV>*
See you on _* The Taste of NAB Road Show
<http://www.tech-notes.tv/2008/2008-Itinerary.htm>*_
& the video @ * www.Tech-Notes.TV/DVD.html
<http://www.tech-notes.tv/DVD.html>*