[SBE] Partnership For Public Warning - Alumni and InterestedStakeholders

Richard Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 00:11:55 EDT 2008

The original seventeen PPW Trustees believed PPW should support
multiple warning systems using many delivery technologies -- all
working together. Broadcasters sometimes feel they "own" warnings. I
personally do not think that is any more constructive than emergency
managers not communicating properly with the media to fill in the
details after a warning goes out.

Going back to some key PPW basics as they apply to all warning systems:

1. National Warning Strategy
2. Common Alerting Protocol (CAP)
3. Common Terminology

We only have the CAP piece in place so far, and there have been
threats to its integrity.

Having CAP implemented at as many warning centers as possible might
care of a lot of training issues.

Training EM's in the use of broadcasting has in my mind more to do
with telling the story of the emergency as opposed to the headline of
the story, the warning. I have believed for some time that solving the
sub set, the warning, is a separate problem from the superset, the
ongoing story of the emergency. Some of you may remember I coined an
acronym for the superset some time ago, EPI (Emergency Public
Information).

EPI works best when both sides meet half way to plan, train and
improve -- and fails miserably where they do not. The recent Gap fire
in Santa Barbara County is not a good EPI story. Hurricane Gustav
might turn out to be a better story in this regard.

There is more basic work to be done learning the scales before EM's
and broadcasters perform the symphony of warnings and EPI in tune.

So, stay tuned. That's at least a double pun.

:-)

Richard
(One of the PPW 17)