[SBE] HD plant construction engineer needed

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Thu Oct 23 16:14:53 EDT 2008

Thanks for a fascinating discussion...

I found it so because of the passionate, and may I say honest
viewpoints expressed here. Hey, if we can't have a frank discussion
here amongst ourselves- on topics ranging far and wide- fair wages,
training, contract vs. temp vs. full-time, hiring practices, and
whether a 'wireman' is worthy of his/her pay, SBE principles, and
others- then where can we have it?

Even Barry Thomas, our esteemed President got in a few licks! We all
have our own strongly held opinions and have to deal within our own
markets and with local personnel issues.

Mr. Ruhweidel or anyone doing the hiring I'm sure is more than capable
of determining what their specific local market demands happen to be
and their own job requirements for that vacancy or position. If not
they'll end up having to go without help needed. I wish him good luck
in his search and commend his posting to the SBE sites seeking
preferred interested applicants.

When I did similar in looking for individuals I got several good
trained up for the wiring needs on my project. Training a person not
yet in our industry is worthwhile and if that is Henry's luck to find
a qualified person (inside the industry or outside it) with the skill
set needed or perhaps with both the skill set and the drive and
interest to acquire additional skills, plus use their own talents, so
much the better! I will say that I negotiated what seemed to me to be
at the time a fair price to pay for that talent. I think we both got
fair value in the deal. My hire ended up going longer than either of
us expected. And I would hire that person again in a heartbeat if he
were available (which he is not, sadly). So what I consider a good
hire turned out well for both of us. He made more than he expected!

The compensation is less important in my view than the fit of the
prospect to the job requirements. At least we all hope so. That will
make a good hire both short and long term for all concerned. A pool of
talent is what we all need actually, and cultivating that talent
should be what the SBE is all about.

Ideally a pool of engineering-related talent, much like the various
areas of production talent or the skilled tradesmen is essential to
our industry much as it is in others. Ours engineering world is just a
tad smaller.

Henry Seiden
On Oct 23, 2008, at 15:38 , A9xw at cs.com wrote:

> Gee, isn't offering 70% above market/union scale in line with

> upholding pay rates? It may not be your market/union rate but I

> bet Montrose CO, Alpena, MI, and a lot of other markets pay less.

> This industry is based on market size, station annual budget and

> union contracts. Feel free to demand all the $ you want. You may or

> may not get it. Wasn't it some multi-TV station group in west OK or

> TX that wanted a 24/7 chief to work over a 400 mile circuit with no

> car no tools, no equipment, no insurance and had to fix the casters

> on the chairs for $35k a year, and filled the job? It was posted

> the station had tons of applicants. $20/hr is $41,600/yr plus OT,

> and benies and half your SS paid, unemployment insurance paid,

> worker's comp paid, and you can collect unemployment as a wage

> earner since you paid into the system. Self employed? Who you gonna

> claim unemployment from?

Henry Seiden
Techworks Professional Systems, Inc.
15751 Sheridan Street, #407