[SBE] PSIP Question & Virtual Channel Assignment

Henry M. Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Wed Nov 12 15:49:21 EST 2008

I guess their audience finds them on 15DTV, XXXCableBox, XXXXDirect TV
and they figure that's too confusing for the home viewer. So you go to
the 'Guide to see what to look up (TV Guide, barker channel, etc.)?
Apparently it works, somebody's watching...

BTW, slightly off topic, our local SBE chapter recently did a meeting
yesterday with Arbitron and their roll out of PPM (ARB) in this
market. It was quite informative even if a bit long-winded. Nielsen I
understand is much the same now. It's interesting to note that
stations are now able to tell metered viewership by any of their
distribution means- OTA, web streaming, cable, special OTA channels-
as Cowboy mentions.

Henry S.
On Nov 12, 2008, at 15:03 , Cowboy wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 November 2008 02:28 pm, Henry M. Seiden wrote:

>> FWIW, in this market no one is their actual channel- VHFs or UHF.

>> Most everyone here doesn't lead off with a number but rather a

>> network

>> designator, which is what people think of- NBC6, CBS4, Local10, Fox7,

>> CW, Telemundo, Univision, etc. I thought this was common practice.

>> Certainly in major markets. No?

> Not consistently, no.

> Here, Fox is Fox-8 but ABC is Power of 5. ( go figure )

> Also NewsNet5, and Weathernet5.

> Can't find the call sign on their site, either.

> TV guide says they re WEWS but you couldn't prove it by

> anything available to the general public from the station.

> ( except that they've been WEWS for about 300 years )

> Oh, and NEVER not ONCE have they EVER mentioned that

> they are on 15 DTV. Unless you scan AND find them there,

> you'd never know.

> --

> Cowboy

> http://cowboys.homeip.net

> P.S. I suppose I really should be nicer to people today, considering

> I'll be singing in Billy Graham's choir tonight... :-)

> -- Larry Wall in <199709261754.KAA23761 at wall.org>

Henry M. Seiden
henry at techworkspro.com
Drag'n'Drop VCF card... Just drag and drop the attached .vcf card into
your fave Addressbook application for instant addition of our address!