[SBE] How long did it take you to move the studio [long]

Bob Reite br at telcen.com
Mon Nov 24 22:15:22 EST 2008

I've done several studio moves, all radio. The easiest of course was
buying all new equipment for the new location, but that was a long time
ago in the Los Angeles market.

My two most recent moves involved keeping all of the old equipment and
furniture in one case, the other involved adding new equipment, but
still reusing all of the old as well. Both were stand alone AM stations
at the time of the move.

For AM station #1: A class D "unlimited operation". The work involved
one "on air" studio and one production studio. The station is
automated, except for a live morning show 6 AM to 9 AM. The STL was an
ISDN link, but due to issues related below a point to point T-1 circuit
was installed from the new location to the transmitter site and tested
before work began. The new location was designed so that the air studio
and production rooms would just "drop into place" without having to
rearrange anything. I have no data on the cost of remodeling the
interior of the new building.

One MAJOR complication on this project: The new building did not have a
clear shot for the AMC-8 satellite (at our location AMC-8 is only 12
degrees above the horizon) which the station picks up CBS news and a
baseball game feed from. But the owner was going to get such a good deal
on the new building that wanted to make it work "somehow". The
"somehow" was to install a C-band dish at the transmitter site and bring
the audio back down over a Moseley "Star Link" T-1 system. This would
allow us two return audios, plus a 4800 serial link to get cues for the
Skyview ballgame system. We ordered the T-1 two months in advance of the
move to allow for "gotchas" and "Oh by the ways", but to their credit
Verizon did get it installed within the 1 month promise date, which
allowed us to test the new STL before we had to depend on it. The owner
hired an old TVRO guy to put in the dish for us, I don't have figures on
that.

We did the actual move on two weekends. The first weekend the
production studio was moved and made operational. During that week, if
any production needed to be put on the air, we put the file on a thumb
drive and drove it to the old site. That Friday Night/Sat AM we put the
production room automation system on the air via the new T-1 link. We
dismantled the control room on Saturday and reassembled it at the new
location on Sunday. Sunday Night/Monday AM the regular on air studio at
the new location was put on the air, ready for the morning show on Monday.

We hired movers those two weekends to do the grunt work of moving the
stuff. I did all the disconnecting and reconnecting myself.

I don't have cost figures for the movers. There were no equipment costs
at the studio since we reused everything. I don't know what the owner
gave for the C-band dish installed at the transmitter site. The
Scientific Atlanta C-band dish at the old studio was abandoned in place,
I did grab the LNB off of it to have for a spare.

Since then, we got rid of the T-1 and went back to the ISDN for the STL
and the ballgame audio and data and installed a "dry pair" for the CBS
news audio which we equalize ourselves. The ISDN and dry pair are a lot
less money than the T-1 charges.

For AM station #2: This was a bit more complicated in some ways, and
less complicated in others. The station was/is a daytime only that got
all of its programming (mostly EWTN catholic programming) over a T-1
link from a distant city. The studio was what I call a "pretend"
studio, only there to meet the requirement for "main studio presence in
the city of license" Yes, you could open the mike and put yourself on
the air and play a CD, but that was it. STL was/is a 950 MHz link. No
production facilities. The new owners got a better deal on a new studio
location and were able to break the lease at the old site because of the
change in ownership. No remodeling of the new space was necessary,
since this operation is so simple. The new owners were going to do local
breaks, but the majority of the programming would still be the EWTN
network feed over C-band satellite. Yes, I did a site survey to make
sure that we could see Galaxy 11 from the new site. So a C-band dish
had to be purchased and installed at the new site. This got delayed
because of permit issues, so it was decided to take the network feed
over the Internet until the C-band was up and running.

This move also involved the purchase and setup of an automation computer
for the local portion of the programming. This was ordered, set up and
bench tested well ahead of the move at my office, including taking the
network feed over the Internet. We purchased a computer with a fast
enough processor so that a second instance of the automation system
could be opened in "production mode" and the audition channel of the
board could be used for production. The audio editing software I
installed for them is the freeware "Audacity" program. The STL move was
made easier because the heading for the receive antenna was only 0.5
degrees different, so no need to climb the tower at the transmitter site
and re aim the receive antenna.

On the night before the move, a CD player and small mixer was taken to
the transmitter site and a custom burned CD 60 minutes long with a legal
ID, explanation that we were moving the studio, and some religious
programming was set up, which would automatically be on the air when the
sine system started the transmitter the next morning.

The day of the move, I took down the STL transmit antenna from the old
building while two helpers dismantled the studio gear and loaded it into
the truck. At the new location, I installed the STL transmit antenna,
and ran the feed line into the building while the helpers unloaded the
truck and set up the inside equipment. I then connected the automation
computer and got the audio started, turned on the STL transmitter and
drove to the AM transmitter site. All the path calculations proved
correct, strong STL at the receive site. At top of the hour I switched
the input of the Optimod from the CD player amp to the STL receiver for
a clean changeover. The whole operation took 9 hours, start to finish,
although I had allowed for two days of "stunting" from the transmitter site.

We did have a lot of issues with losing the internet feed, which would
die once or twice a day. I installed UltraVNC on the automation
computer so I could remote it from my home office and restart the feed,
the issue seemed to be at the originating end. We got the building
permit and the C-band dish installed three weeks later and the C-band
feed has worked fine. The owner said that if he had to do it all over
again, he would have filed for silent authority for the time it took to
get the C-band system up and running. There were a fair number of
listener complaints about being "off the air" during the time we were
trying to rely on the EWTN Internet stream. At least we know that
people were actually listening to the station.

Equipment costs here were $1500 for a Simian automation program, around
$1500 for the computer and Audio Sciences sound card, and the owner paid
for the C-band dish, LNB and receiver directly, so I don't know what he
gave for the C-band gear. He hired a local contractor to install the
mount for the C-band dish and fence enclosing it. I mounted the dish
with two helpers and aimed it once the concrete for the pole had set.