[SBE] How long did it take you to move the studio

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Tue Dec 2 20:10:41 EST 2008

Many, many years ago -- back in 1962 as I recall, I was the Chief Engineer
of a little 250 watt Class IV (now class D) AM ND station that had no money.
It was one of those operations where we all ran to the bank to cash our
checks -- only the swift got paid.

Since I was only 20 years old and was a college student living at home, it
was all rather a game to me.

When time came to move the studios, it really became a game.

We were to move 7 blocks across downtown. We had the move scheduled for
some day unspecified before the "end of the month" when the rent ran out.

As I recall, the plan was to move on the 29th.

A few college friends of mine and I decided at about 10pm on the 27th that
we were ready for the move. Probably the quantity of beer and pizza we'd
consumed contributed to our readiness.

And so, we moved the station, two days ahead of schedule.

No big deal. Except for the morning jock. For him, it was a big deal.

You see, since we hadn't told anyone we were moving, the morning jock was
dropped off at the old location promptly at 5:50 am. He went up three
flights of stairs just to find holes where turntables had been, coffee
stained countertop where the old RCA BC-3 console had been, and ends of
wires all over the place.

Of course, we, the tech guy (me) and a handful of my college friends who I'd
bribed with beer and pizza to spend the night moving and hooking up
equipment signed the station "On The Air" on time, loudly proclaiming that
"the unreliable morning jock was nowhere to be found," and having a rowdy
good time.

At about 6:30 the morning jock showed up -- since he'd been dropped off,
he'd hoofed it over to our new studios -- to discover our little "surprise."

I'm not sure (I) (we) have been forgiven yet. But the move was successful,
ahead of time, under budget, and we had a great time.

Ah yes, those really were the "good old days!"

Not useful info for this thread, but a moment of New Mexico broadcasting
history with a wink and a chuckle!

Mike Langner, CPBE
Albuquerque, NM