[SBE] Data Link

Dan Slentz dan_slentz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 19:56:56 EST 2008

Dan,

You might look at TrangoLINK10 (also they have LINK45 and LINKGIGA).  This is unlicensed (though you can opt for more expensive licensed) 5.8 gig stuff.  The LINK10 has a 30 mile range, while the GIGA can hit 40 miles.  The 10 is 10 mbps, 45 is 45 mbps, and the GIGA can hit 625 mbps or about 325 full duples.

When I was with WHIZ TV in Zanesville, OH, we actually put a Slingbox into a Trango LINK10 and used it as news microwave gear (at a cost of about $1,500!)

For your purpose, you might even have it as an emergency STL.

I've recently started testing the new Slingbox HD.  Incredible quality!!  It's a 1080i consumer HD system.  The Slingbox Pro (SD) can be "cranked" to 5.3 mbps, while the new HD can go as high as 8.4 mbps.  Fortunately, it only requires about 1.5 mbps to get incredible HD quality with the Slingbox HD.

Hope this info helps you.

As a side note, since the Trango gear is full duplex, you might consider adding a couple of network cameras around your site and in your building to monitor the facility.

Best wishes,
Dan Slentz
WSFL TV Miami