[SBE] Reno's DTV Experiment

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Mon Jan 12 23:46:21 EST 2009

We went through our first station analog shutoff today and the good news is
that so far, it appears most people in our area are prepared for DTV.
Overall, KOLO-TV, the ABC affiliate in Reno, received very few calls today
about their early analog turnoff. Very few calls were taken at their call
center and website, and very few calls went into the call center set up by
the Nevada Broadcasters Association for today's analog soft-turn off tests.
Altogether, there have been maybe a thousand calls for the entire state,
some of which have already been resolved by return call to viewers who
simply needed to re-scan their converter boxes. Other viewers have antenna
problems that they will need to resolve and still others told us that they
had not yet received their government coupons and didn't have their
converter boxes as a result. (I haven't received mine yet.) We had virtually
no calls after 4:00 PM PST when Oprah normally airs, which indicates to me
at least, that the Oprah fans took the DTV education campaign to heart. We
will know more tomorrow after we (NBA) begins drilling through the data by
zip code, but at this point it appears that only 40 percent of the calls
were from Northern Nevada or Reno area viewers while 60 percent were from
Southern Nevada, where all the stations are still operating an analog
signal. All in all, it appears to be good news tonight.

Adrienne Abbott

Field Engineer

Nevada Broadcasters Association

nevadaeas at charter.net