[SBE] Cable companies are not allowed to digitally compress "must carry" signals, I'm told by Comcast --

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Tue Jan 13 11:01:14 EST 2009

Hello everyone !

According to one of the Regional Vice-Presidents of Comcast I met with
yesterday, the "primary" DTV service from any "must carry" channel must not
be altered. Multicasting components of even a "must carry" signal need not,
and generally will not be carried. But he and his top technical person
emphatically emphasized in answering several questions that the "primary"
signal, whatever format it's in, and as it may change format during the
day -- 1080p, 720p, etc, will be carried with no compression.

That said, clearly everything else is up for as much compression and the
creation of as much inventory for sale as the cable systems can come up
with.

Some providers, such as ESPN, have, I suspect, contract terms limiting how
much cable systems can "squeeze" the signal with lossy compression, but I am
not knowledgeable in this area.

Yes, it's going to be an interesting ride!

By the way, in our (Albuquerque) market, the local PBS station has
negotiated carriage of at least one of their multicast channels. With my
converter box and outside antenna, I'm loving getting the PBS multicast
program material. It's a rich source of information, education, and
entertainment!!

Good luck to us all !

Mike Langner, CPBE
Albuquerque, NM