[SBE] DTV Reception Problem Article

Larry Bloomfield Larry at Tech-Notes.TV
Sun Feb 1 15:06:10 EST 2009

About paper clip antennas:

Several years ago, during one of my Taste of NAB Road Shows, I gave away
hundreds of regular sized, plan old paper clips in a plastic bag (one to
a bag) with a tag on the end that said: "UHF/VHF antenna $1.00." It was
supplied by my good friend Steve Epstein of Broadcast Buyer's Guide.
Steve has been in television and radio engineering for more than 30
years, holds a BS in Broadcasting and is SBE-certified (CPBE & CBNT). He
is the former Chairman of SBE Chapter 59 (Kansas City), and is currently
Chief Engineer at JW Broadcasting's Columbia, MO facility where they
house ABC, FOX and UPN affiliates along with a 24/7 automated weather
channel. It is obvious he has a great sense of humor. We gave them away
on the Road Show, but I have often wondered if anyone ever offered the
dollar the tag had on it.

I can't begin to tell you how many engineers took them, smiling while
saying: "These things really work." :-)

I'm proud to say that Carl Sundberg is a member of my SBE Chapter 76 in
Eugene, OR.

*Larry Bloomfield, KA6UTC*
1980 25th St.
Florence, OR 97439