[SBE] 4 more months? Slight, hopefully positive thread drift..

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Sun Feb 1 19:56:21 EST 2009

When Reno station KOLO-TV did an early turn off of their analog signal, the
event was well-documented by station staff as well as the NBC and CBS
affiliates in the market. The turn-off was scheduled for the mid-day (11:00)
newscast, with live coverage of the GM pushing the button that replaced the
normal programming on the analog signal with a slate giving viewers
instructions on what to do to receive the digital signal. The slate ran
until midnight and then the analog signal went silent. The other stations
with news staff covered the end of analog broadcasting on KOLO-TV as a news
event and everyone agreed that the early turn-off probably benefited the
entire market. In addition, KOLO-TV's early turn-off coincided with a series
of market-wide "soft tests" so the Nevada Broadcasters Association had set
up a call center to help viewers who had questions about the loss of
KOLO-TV's signal as well as the digital tests on the other stations.
Overall, there were very few calls to the call center and to KOLO-TV, and
we've been handling those one at a time, getting everyone up to speed on the
transition. The prevailing opinion is that having a station do an early
turn-off will probably benefited everyone in the market, stations and as
well as viewers, and the market is better prepared for the end of analog
broadcasting ends, whether that happens this month or in June.
Adrienne